Wednesday, August 31, 2011

"Every Man Makes His Own Summer"



Take a look at this guy. I certainly wouldn't categorize him as the epitome of happiness. But, I do suppose anyone that can rock that beard must have a good sense of humor.
This is Robertson Davies. He is a writer, probably one of Canada's best. One taste of his work leads to life-long addiction or a nervous avoidance. You can certainly guess which category I fall into. This is an excerpt from one of his essays, "Three Worlds, Three Summers."
"Every man makes his own summer. The season has no character of its own, unless one is a farmer with a professional concern for the weather. Circumstances have not allowed me to have a good summer for myself this year. My summer has been overcast by my own heaviness of spirit. I have not had any adventures - and adventures are what make a summer."
My summer has been one of frustration. Not for any other reason than I chose to be frustrated with the state of things instead of being grateful for my current place and patiently waiting for my path to be illuminated. But I'm impatient. I hate to wait. I want to go out and hunt down my path, then beat it into submission.

I need an adventure.

Where is the daring adventures we dreamed about as a kid? Are we so stuck in the day to day routine that we've forgotten to look for adventure? For in true adventure we find much more than the thrill of adrenaline, we find ourselves.

Perhaps it is time we seek to regain the element of adventure that drove men like Cortez and Columbus to cross uncharted oceans and vast expanses of unknown territory with no hope of return. We need to bring risk back into our lives. If we are truly to embrace the adventurous life, we must find it within ourselves the daring resolve to snatch up our mere existence and drive it to the edge of possibility. Doing this knowing that the future holds no guarantee for safety, prosperity or happiness - takes bravery.

A full life is not given, it's taken.

1 comment:

  1. you said it best... use this life change to go and find that path... not to beat it but to live it ...

    ReplyDelete