Tuesday, August 16, 2011

I hate bees.


As I inferred in the title, I hate bees. Sure they pollinate flowers & trees thus helping plants grow and oxygenating the earth...but I hate them. They're buzzing sends me into hysterics. And they feed off your fear. The more you scream and dance about like an idiot, the more they buzz about your face and threaten to sting your ass. But that whole idiotic bee dance teaches us something about fear. Live in it and you get stung. Ignore it and the bee goes away.
The fear of failure consumes many of us. Often preventing us from attempting to achieve our dreams. Like the fear of being stung, the fear of failure plays on our everyday actions. Conquering that fear...or just learning to ignore it, is something I struggle with daily.
Here's another Emerson quote I find helps qualm this whole "Bee Dance" struggle.

"Like the wounded oyster, he mends his shell with pearl."
This is where bitterness is transformed into betterness. This is where rejection is changed into a trajectory forward. This is where another "no" is one step closer to the "yes" we are in search of. This is where forgiveness overcomes harm and love covers a multitude of sins. Long suffering. Patient. Tenaciously climbing despite all odds.
So always do what you are afraid to do. Fear is terrified of action. We can not escape the tentacles of fear -- but we can remove their power by being a person of action. Operate as one whose tribal cry is "Do it NOW!" Fear has no power unless you give it power.

"Divine persons are victory organized."

I never considered losing. It's just not in my make-up. I have a catch-cry, which I declare in the midst of my day. "I will find a way!" But then someone comes along and says that it is impossible and that I will never make it. But, as my son does when he doesn't want to hear its time for a bath, I stuff my fingers in my ears and continue to say but one thing:
Nothing is impossible to me because I believe - and I will find a way.

1 comment:

  1. Bees fascinate me. I can't explain why people have the phobias they do, but this one has a modicum of sense to it, unlike Nicole Kidman's alleged phobia of butterflies.

    ReplyDelete