Saturday, August 10, 2013

Loss Prevention


Have you ever heard the expression, "Don't kick someone when they're already down?" 

Unfortunately for me, those who should have honored that piece of colloquial wisdom, didn't. 

I mean to say, heart break is a bitch. She's self absorbed, pays no mind to timing or circumstance and will purposefully drive that dreadful stake of miserable self pity into your chest without the slightest consideration of your already wounded ego. And by she, I mean he. 

What's to say about having your heart broken that hasn't already been said, or sang, or texted amidst a psychotic sequence that may or may not include high stakes emotional ransom. It's universal and likely the most relatable human diatribe. 

So now, I find myself trying to negotiate this late breaking development in my already tumultuous existence. I sit here, sleepless on a Saturday morning in the basement of my former in-law's exorbitant home, attempting to devise a route that will lead me out of the churning sea of longing and regret. I suppose the most practical thing is to travel swiftly and with great purpose through the stages of grief until the pearly gleam of the proverbial silver lining breaks through the clouds. That's about as simple to pull off as the structure of my previous sentence. 

I love deeply. It's just my nature. In this case, I find myself buried up to my neck in the sands of love while the antagonist in this story, walks effortlessly away over the dunes and out of my life. 

But happy endings don't really do it for me anyways. When last I counted, mine was a tragedy. That's not to say that my next chapter won't be one of great new adventures and a thunderous triumph over adversity - I've learned though that happiness isn't something that can be kept. It can be found and cherished temporarily. Ultimately, the pursuit of happiness is what makes the human condition such a magnificent and worthy topic of literature. 

Until we meet again...

In the meantime, I'll be the red head in the corner looking bitter and holding her chin up unnaturally high. 

21 comments:

  1. Your anguish is almost palatable. There are those in our lives that "get it" but most do not. It is a hard thing to distinguish them apart until it is too late. Be strong and conquer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Jim means "palpable," not "palatable."

      Delete
  2. Isaiah 45:2 I will go before you and make the rough places smooth I will shatterthe doors of bronze and cut through their iron bars and I will give you the treasures of darkness and widden wealth of secret places

    Wade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nil carborundum illegitimi. The battle cry of General "Vinegar" Joe, used to rally his troops. Words of wisdom given to me by my father in times of great stress and adversity. Loosely translated: "Don't let the bastards grind you down". I live them. By these words, I soldier on. I survive. As will you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shea Allen. Look at you glancing inward and the pulling the curtain back just a bit so we get a glimpse. Written with a wonderful eloquence I might add. Didn't we talk about your preference to do print vs. air media? Wanted to contact you but you've been a bit busy. Keep doing what you do, and more importantly keep being who you are;) You always hit it down the line in dealing with us. For good or bad. It was appreciated. You will be missed.
    CS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shea, to hold your head high and to be transparent in these times speaks volumes of your character. I see a bright future for you and I see it in a magnitude that you never imagined. Ps. 46:10 Be Still and know that HE is God. In the most difficult of days be still and listen and and let God speak to you only how He can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Long time coming. Have you ever heard if you love something set it free....You can't grab smother and carp and expect any healthy person with free will to stay. Look within.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you ramble and I deem you unnecessary for my story, I'll stop recording but let you think otherwise.

    I stopped reading at "...the churning sea of longing and regret." It all seems a little self important, self-indulgent. I found your blog because Mitch Albom at the Free Press referenced you in a column recently. The lead to the column had a reference to Narcissus. Perhaps something for you to reflect on as you move forward. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lawd, John, how many woman are not narcissistic, and especially in the TV "news" biz. What else is it about?

      Delete
  8. Current mix

    Target

    All accounts



    Where are you? How are you doing? Let us know what is going on. We hope you are o.k.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shea, I hope you have landed on your feet. I grew up in Huntsville back when the unnamed station was still respectable. It saddens me greatly that the land of free speech and personal freedoms I grew up in will stand for a person being fired over speaking her mind. Based on the blatant lack of professionalism show ever news cast by all staff, it makes me wonder how exactly they can pick you out of a crowd. Look up Brad Huffines and start you own news cast over at Channel 11.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never heard of you. But now I know you are an idiot. Thanks for letting the world know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The world wants to know where is Shea? When we hear from her again? Where will she resurface?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sox win 8-4; magic number at 7.
    Go Shea! Go!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sox on to ALCS and still no word from Shea. Maybe she is waiting for the World Series.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Shea....thanks for the music tip via Twitter. Hope you start writing again here soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. One win to go for the WS! Go Sox!

    ReplyDelete
  16. At the beginning of the year how many of you thought Shea would lose her job and the Red Sox would be World Series champs? From last to first! What a comeback! Now it is time for Shea to begin her comeback!
    Your move Shea!
    Boston Strong!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love and heart break are truly universal. Here I sit, miles away and months removed from this post, and the same emotions, fears, doubts and optimism are echoing through my own heart.

    ReplyDelete