Sunday, May 18, 2014

Taking a stab at fiction.

So I've been working my craft and taking a few small stabs at fiction. I have my mind stuck on a theory that explains my inevitable fall from one WTF moment after another. Meet my good friend, Murphy.

27 has proved to indeed be a pivotal year for "you've got to be fucking kidding me moments." I don't mean to beg pity because there have been great joys too. But if you know anything about anything you know that 27 was also a pivotal year for some other edge riding, norm breaking creators. That is to say, the members of the 27 Club all tragically died after a coincidental rise to stardom. I'm alive and kicking and I plan to keep it that way. But like I said, I'm taking a stab at fiction.

I'm sure my use of profanity was noted just earlier in my post. Typically, I like to write in a PG format so that not to put my credibility or objectivity in question. I think a journalist/blogger needs to respect the sensitivities of a very diverse crowd. But, where can you talk when you must always allow the views of the stakeholders to filter you? Expression is nothing more than an exchange of ideas. Discussion and disagreement breed substance. Out of substance comes change and improvement.

IF you pick the wrong place for that sort of self expression,  you're suddenly trending in more than a dozen different countries. You wake up to find your good name hanging shamefully in the headlines. If your sense of humor isn't on par with that of the stakeholders, suddenly you're looking at your name in a Huffington Post headline filtering its way up your newsfeed. The next day they'll tease your story with Facebook opinion polls and an interview with an expert specialized in talking in circles about nothing.

Take this opinion piece by Chez Pazienza. I really like this guy BTW.

"Predictably, it was easier just to knee-jerk and get rid of her -- despite what appears to be a record of pretty damn stellar service to her station and the community -- rather than ignore a late-night social media brain purge that almost nobody would've seen in the first place had she not been fired over the fucking thing."

Where exactly is the line between privately exchanging quips with fellow sarcastic semi-narcissists about real damn life - and inciting a swift rise to the sweet tasting tip top of the Totally Entertaining Bullshit corner of the internet. Another move by Murphy.  Then you meet his bitch cousin, Daytime Television. Its was the oddest week of my life. Truly like, just stupid ridiculous. Came in with a bang then faded into the fairytale ending for any aspiring Viral Internet Darling, mugshot and all. But for me, the whole thing was completely humiliating. I have never felt more sorry for myself.

Here's my point. I'm still trying to figure out who I am as a writer. In the meantime, I have the right to step out of my journalism oxfords and write with some flavor. My hope is that I can put something together eventually that makes people stop and feel and think and even, act. A good story does wonders for the spirit and I have a good story to tell.

So, I'm playing it safe. I've made a space for these stories to develop and to work my hand at a more flavorful style of writing.
READ me & share if it really does it for you.
#ChasingMurphy

LAST THING: Just wanted to send some love to Susannah Collins. Her "public oops" got her fired from Comcast Sports Net Chicago AND she got on Leno. And because I too have learned to feed the beast, you can watch it unfold in all it's humiliating glory here.





2 comments:

  1. Good for you . . . stretch your boundaries. Sometimes flowery language IS called for. I too am dipping my toe into the fiction realm. The amazing thing is that once you get going the characters seem to take over . . . or was that the voices in my head?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just visited your new blog CHASING MURPHY and left a rather long comment on irony, your age, and life's tribulations on your post titled "FIRST OFF..." which might have been better left here instead.
    I guess it's moderated because the comment hadn't showed up yet when I commented here.
    You are probably near the peak of your life both physically and mentally. It's a shame that Murphy seems to schedule so many of life's clusterfucks at that point in our lives.
    It's wonderful that your imagination brings characters to life so clearly for you to write about.
    As I mentioned in my comment over on CHASING MURPHY, now that I'm older (and a male) nobody seems interested in fulfilling my bucket list item of, as you put it, becoming "a ridiculous Internet sensation at the mercy of speculation & nonsense". How Ironic that males who ask for it and probably deserve it like I do don't get covered while serious television journalists like yourself and Susannah Collins get full blown media frenzies despite relatively innocuous circumstances.
    Wishing you the best of luck and good reviews both here and on your blog CHASING MURPHY.

    http://www.full-brief-panties.blogspot.com/2014/05/shadowline-and-victorias-secret.html

    ReplyDelete